Friday, December 3, 2010

I'm dreaming of a lonely Christmas...

So yesterday the CO's denied DH's request to do RA at TN.  (sigh) Which means what, exactly? It means he will get the 23-26 off of work and then a 96 (3 day weekend) for New Year's. Thus, no going home for us. And it sucks. Badly. I've never been away from my family on Christmas and damn it, this is Dante's first one ever. He'll never have this Christmas again. I mean, yes, I know he won't remember this Christmas and will enjoy next year's more when he is big enough to open presents and all, since he'll be a year and 4 months or so old, but it's the damned principle of the thing.

And it sucks. Badly.

I told my parents last night. They're really disappointed but they understand that that's how military life goes: you just have absolutely no say more often than not. Especially Mom, growing up with Pa in the Army, she understands that and Dad does too to an extent. They know that Chad will be gone next year on  deployment (it's the unavoidable truth) and Dante and I will come home then for a few weeks at Christmas.

So this Christmas, I'm going to try to treat it more just like a special occasion than Christmas. I'm going to try to make a ham, dumplings, dressing, baked potatoes maybe, that kind of thing, and some dessert, perhaps a cobbler or pie (practicing those next week, getting groceries for it tomorrow, probably apple) and ice cream. And maybe gingerbread cookies on Christmas Eve.

We'll open presents, watch the Grinch with Jim Carrey, The Muppets Christmas Carol, maybe Rudolph, put Dante's gifts together so he can play with them, that kind of thing. I'm going to need to get some more lights to put up around the house. Make it feel more Christmasy than just having a tree.

Now, the next hurdle:
telling his family.
This is going to suck for the following reason (lol).
His mom is probably going to pitch a huge fit. We can't do anything about it. At all. Period. I highly expect anger, attempted guilt trips, and possibly trying to come out here for Christmas. I don't want that, honestly. Since we can't come home, we may as well make this Christmas about our little family and let Dante enjoy spending this one with his daddy, since he won't be able to next year. (Also going to suck because I'm going to have to deal with his family part of the time we go home for Christmas next year. Maybe we'll be feeling better about one another in general, but I'm not seeing that happening. I will be doing what we planned on this year though: part of the time & Christmas Eve spent with them but sleeping at a hotel and the rest of the time and Christmas Day with my family. I'm going to make sure Chad explains this to her before he leaves but the claws always come out on his deployments. Thats a story for another time. And a very long one that I may type out if I ever get the chance for my own freaking therapeutic reasoning.)

So  I feel bad for him that he's going to have to make that phone call. And thankfully since basic training, our wedding, and his return from this past deployment went so well /insert sarcasm here/, he's seemed to be more understanding about why he deals with his family when he's here and I deal with mine. I don't ask him to make calls to my family about this kind of thing, or anything really, so he deals with his. Now when he's deployed... he'll have to have a talk with her about that. About what WE agreed to about holidays while he is gone so that she can't say it's all my doing and how hateful I am blah blah blah - though I imagine she'll try.

--------------

On another note, I'm going to try to do some shopping this coming week, get Chad the tools he wants. I doubt I'll get it done tomorrow, especially if he goes w/ me to get groceries and such. So I'm going to try to boost the car from him one day. Take him to work, go to town to get the shopping done, few more Christmas things, pick him back up. Sitting here is driving me banana sandwich. I'll spend more than usual tomorrow since I want to practice making the pie/cobbler ans need to get stuff for a stew and chili (Chad's buddy Roberts may come up for dinner one night). But since we're not going to be having to buy plane tickets...(sigh) 

No comments:

Post a Comment